178. IELTS Cue Card -
Describe a time when you told your friend an important truth
In this article, IELTS Game will add number 178 IELTS cue card sample on the series of 2020 cue cards with band 9.0 model answers and part 3 follow up questions that will help you in your IELTS test preparation.
This cue card is related to “Time description” topic and asking you to “Describe a time when you told your friend an important truth“ and asking IELTS speaking part 3 follow up questions from Makkar Jan-Apr 2021 cue cards guesswork.
Share this Post
IELTS Cue Card Sample 178
Describe a time when you told your friend an important truth.
You should say:
- – Who your friend is?
- – What the truth was?
- – What your friend’s reaction was?
- – And explain why it was important for you to tell the truth to your friend?
Band 9.0 Sample Answer Ideas.
• I have often thought about the question that whether honesty is the best policy among friends.
• Some truths are just very uncomfortable to tell.
• And sharing such truths might also spoil or ruin friendships.
• However, I also believe that the more uncomfortable the truth, the more important it is to tell them.
• I am going to talk about a recent event when I told my friend Yatin something uncomfortable.
• Yatin is one of my closest friends and I love spending time with him.
• However, he has a bad habit that he sometimes talks very rudely with his parents.
• Before the Covid times, we used to spend a lot of time outdoors.
• I hardly visited his house.
• But in the past year, because of the lockdown, we have been spending a lot of time at his house.
• This is the first time, I noticed that his tone with his parents and especially his mother was very rude.
• At first, I didn’t say anything because I thought it was not my place.
• But as I saw it happening regularly, I finally decided that I must tell him.
• So, one day, I told him that he should talk nicely to his parents.
• At first, he got very defensive and told me that they also talk rudely to him.
• He also started listing my shortcomings like I am very bad at sports.
• In short, he didn’t take it well.
• In fact, after that day, he didn’t talk to me for a whole week.
• But after a week, he came to me and thanked me for telling him to be nice.
• He also apologized for not talking to me till then.
• I feel that good friends are not afraid to share uncomfortable truths with each other.
• Our friends’ behaviors are partly our responsibility as well.
• And in the end, I think our friendship is stronger because I told Yatin the truth.
• He told me that because I was honest about it, he trusts me to guide him well in the future.
IELTS Speaking part 3 Follow Up Questions.
Here are some follow up questions you may be asked during part 3 IELTS Speaking exam by the IELTS examiner related to 1st cue card:
“Describe a time when you told your friend an important truth”
1. Do you think we should tell truth at all times?
I don’t think telling the truth at all times is a wise choice. I think if the truth does nothing but hurt a person, I think we should avoid telling the truth.
2. How do you know when others are telling the truth?
I think it is easy to tell how others are telling the truth from their facial expressions. For example, people start sweating or avoiding eye contact when they are lying.
However, this might also be sweating due to other reasons and thus it is not easy to determine if people are indeed lying or just physically uncomfortable.
3. Do you think it is important to win the game or follow the rules?
I think the victory would feel hollow if people do not follow the rules. It would not feel that the victory was deserved.
So, although the outcome is important, following the rules is even more important.
4. Sometimes people should tell lies. Do you agree?
Yes, I believe that if the truth serves no purpose but only hurts other people’s feelings, we should avoid telling the truth.
For example, telling a person just before a party that they don’t look good in the dress would just make them uncomfortable and reduce their confidence.
Cue Card sample 177
Cue Card sample 179
Related Cue Cards:
Share this Post