213. IELTS Cue Card -
Describe a time when you helped a friend
In this article, IELTS Game will add number 213 IELTS cue card sample on the series of 2021 cue cards with band 9.0 model answers and part 3 follow up questions that will help you in your IELTS test preparation.
This cue card is related to “Time description” speaking topic and asking you to “Describe a time when you helped a friend“ and asking IELTS speaking part 3 follow up questions from Makkar May-Aug 2021 cue cards guesswork.
Share this Post
IELTS Cue Card Sample 213
Describe a time when you helped a friend.
You should say:
- – When it was?
- – How you helped him/her?
- – Why you helped him/her?
- – And how you felt about it?
Band 9.0 Sample Answer Ideas.
• Helping others is a very good thing.
• I have given and received help many times.
• Here, I would like to talk about a situation, when I helped my friend in studies.
• When I was in 10th, my friend Rahul suffered a sprain in his ankle while playing hockey in
• He was advised strict bed rest for three weeks.
• Our exams were very near and Rahul’s mother was very worried that he would fail this time if he did not attend school.
• So, I decided to help him as much as I could.
• Every day after school, I would go to his house and update him with everything that was done in school.
• His mother was so happy with my efforts that she would prepare nice shakes or something to eat for me every day.
• Perhaps, that was her way of thanking me.
• I used to reach home very late, but when I told my parents the reason, they were OK with it.
• Then the exams came, and Rahul and I both scored above 80% marks.
• I realised that in helping him, I had helped myself even more. After this incident, Rahul and I became even more intimate friends.
• Last month Rahul took his IELTS and scored 7 bands and has planned to go for higher education in Canada.
• Because of Rahul, my parents have also decided to send me to Canada for my higher studies.
• Earlier they were reluctant to send me.
• When I helped him, then I did not know that it would have this far-reaching effect. looking after one’s own interests.
IELTS Speaking part 3 Follow Up Questions.
Here are some follow up questions you may be asked during part 3 IELTS Speaking exam by the IELTS examiner related to 1st cue card:
“Describe a time when you helped a friend”
1. How do people usually help each other?
People help each other in many ways. For example, people help tourists by telling them about directions.
People also help each other financially by loaning some money during tough times.
In student life, intelligent students help others with their homework or studies during after school hours.
2. How is online help different from real-life help?
The main way people can help others online is by bringing attention of others to their ordeal.
For example, many people got hold of oxygen during covid pandemic by raising SOS calls on the internet. People can also donate money to charities online, which can use them on the ground.
I think the biggest difference is that we cannot directly help others online except if we
transfer them money. However, the advantage is that people can help others online wherever
they are located and they are not restricted by their geographical boundaries.
3. Should schools be responsible for teaching students how to cooperate?
I think both schools and parents should be responsible for teaching children about
However, the increasing competition in schools is sadly having an opposite effect and many students are facing issues in working along with others in their adult life.
4. What are the differences between help from friends and help from family?
I think the main difference is that in case of help from friends we feel more obligated to return it sooner or later, whereas in the cases of family we don’t feel that need. We take help from
family for granted, which is both a good thing and a bad thing.
5. Do you like helping others?
Yes, I do. I love helping others. I have realised it gives a lot of mental satisfaction and happiness.
6. Should parents teach helping others to their children?
Yes, of course. Parents are responsible for bringing their children into this world, and so it is their duty to make their children into responsible citizens of the future.
Parents don’t have to do anything special to accomplish this. They just have to lead by example. Children will automatically follow their footsteps. If all citizens are helpful and nice, then the whole world would become a nice place to live in.
7. Do you think nowadays people do more good work as compared to the past?
I don’t think so. Life in the past was simpler and slower. People helped each other a lot.
Now, everyone is in the rat race of money and materialism. No one has the time to help others.
8. Will you help others in the future?
Yes, definitely. I believe that we must do unto others as we want them to do unto us. If I will
help others, only then I can expect help from others when I need it.
9. How do you encourage children to help others?
Nothing special is needed. Children are good observers and copy what their elders are doing.
All you have to do is help others and they will automatically follow.
10. How do world social organizations such as Red Cross collect their funds worldwide?
They do so by advertising their work. They organise activities and involve young people in
them. They also take the help of media.
11. Do small non-government organizations always need big organizations’ help or can they collect funds themselves?
No, they do not always need big organisations help. If their projects are small, they can manage on their own, otherwise they can seek the help of their bigger counterparts.
12. Do you think people in India should help foreigners who are visiting India and who need help? (Why? / Why not?)
Definitely, yes. India is known for its hospitality and helpful nature.
Tourists are our guests. If tourists need help, they should be helped. They will take back happy memories and more and more tourists will flock-in in the future.
13. What is the most important way for a country to help foreigners who are visiting the country?
Foreigners can be helped by guiding them about our customs and traditions, so that they do not unknowingly hurt anybody’s sentiments.
They can be helped by providing them good and hygienic food, which suits their taste. They can be helped by not fleecing them when they buy some souvenirs.
14. Many people only look out for themselves and never think about helping others. What do you think of this attitude?
I think such people are very short sighted. They do not think that if they don’t help others they will also be left alone when they need help.
15. Do Indian people help others who need help, such as people in extreme poverty? (How?)
Yes, Indian people help others who are in extreme poverty. Some help directly and some help through charity organisations.
Related Cue Cards:
IELTS Cue Card: Describe a meal you had with your friendsNovember 21, 2019
IELTS Cue Card: Describe an item of clothing bought for youNovember 21, 2019
IELTS Cue Card: Describe a goal that you would like to achieveNovember 19, 2019
IELTS Cue Card: Describe a story that was interesting to youNovember 17, 2019
Share this Post