157. IELTS Cue Card -
Describe a time when you first talked in a foreign language
In this article, IELTS Game will add number 157 IELTS cue card sample on the series of 2020 cue cards with band 9.0 model answers and part 3 follow up questions that will help you in your IELTS test preparation.
This cue card is related to “Talking with foreign language description” topic and asking you to “Describe a time when you first talked in a foreign language“ and asking IELTS speaking part 3 follow up questions.
Share this Post
IELTS Cue Card Sample 157
Describe a time when you first talked in a foreign language.
You should say:
- – Where were you?
- – Who you were with?
- – What did you talk about?
- – And explain how you felt about it?
Band 9.0 Sample Answer Ideas.
• I think the first time I talked in a foreign language was when I was in 3rd grade.
• It happened at school.
• My English teacher made me speak about myself in English with another classmate.
• I had learned about English alphabets in kindergarten and I could even write simple sentences in English by that time.
• However, I had never spoken a sentence aloud.
• So, I was really nervous.
• My teeth were clattering and my whole body was shivering.
• It took me a lot of time to think what I should talk about.
• Eventually I think I talked about name, my hobbies, my parents name and their profession.
• I think it was a short three sentence introduction.
• My teacher guided me and corrected me whenever I made a mistake.
• The first sentence took me more than thirty seconds but as I spoke more, I got more and
• After each sentence my other classmates clapped and that also boosted my confidence.
• After my turn, my teacher made all the other students do the same.
• She made pairs and made everyone come to front and talk about themselves.
• I could see that everyone went through the same feelings as me.
• My other classmates were also nervous like me, some of them were even sweating.
• But after speaking, we all felt so much better.
• I couldn’t wait to reach home and tell my mother how I spoke in English.
• Gradually, I got more and more comfortable with English.
• But that first time I spoke in English, is something I can never forget.
Related Cue Card: Describe the first time you used a foreign language to communicate
IELTS Speaking part 3 Follow Up Questions.
Here are some follow up questions you may be asked during part 3 IELTS Speaking exam by the IELTS examiner related to 1st cue card:
“Describe a time when you first talked in a foreign language”
1. At what age should children start learning a foreign language?
With regards to learning a foreign language, I think the earlier the better.
So, I think primary school is the best stage to start learning foreign language.
Young children have less inhibitions and don’t hesitate while speaking.
Also, there is a lot of burden of studies in secondary school.
2. Which skill is more important speaking or writing?
I think both are equally important.
A few years ago, I would have said that speaking is more important, but with the coming of internet we have started communicating in the form of emails and chats and so writing today is equally important.
3. Does a person still need to learn another language if he is good in English?
I think learning another language is always beneficial. Bilingual children are better at
multitasking and thinking out of the box.
Learning another language also helps in the mental development of children.
I think I have read it at many places that bilingual children outperform monolingual children academically.
4. Do you think minority languages will disappear?
Unfortunately, yes. I think it is already happening. There are many reasons for it, but the primary reason is English is prioritized in most of the countries as it gives a competitive advantage in jobs.
Moreover, linguists around the world are also not doing enough to protect the minority languages.
There is research into minor aspects of languages like English and French, while minority languages are completely ignored.
Download IELTS Cambridge 1- 15
Cue Card sample 156
Cue Card sample 158
Related Cue Cards:
IELTS Speaking – Describe a foreign country you would like to go toOctober 20, 2019
IELTS Speaking – Describe a time when you forgot something importantOctober 20, 2019
IELTS Speaking – Describe An Occasion You Unexpectedly Met SomeoneOctober 19, 2019
IELTS Speaking – Describe something you do that keeps you fitOctober 19, 2019
Share this Post