112. IELTS Cue Card -
Talk about an unusual meal you had
In this article, IELTS Game will add number 112 IELTS cue card sample on the series of 2020 cue cards with band 9.0 model answers and part 3 follow up questions that will help you in your IELTS test preparation.
This cue card is related to “Furniture description” topic and asking you to “Talk about an unusual meal you had.“ and asking IELTS speaking part 3 follow up questions.
Share this Post
IELTS Cue Card 2020 Sample 112
Talk about an unusual meal you had.
You should say:
- – when did you eat it?
- – where did you eat it?
- – with whom you had the meal?
- – Describe why you found it unusual?
Band 9.0 Sample Answer Ideas.
An unusual meal that I had was when I went to a restaurant that specialized in serving food in complete darkness. I ate it on a weekend evening, and I had it with my partner.
The restaurant was located in a busy part of town, and the concept of the restaurant is that it serves food in complete darkness, simulating the experience of blindness. The idea behind it is to heighten the other senses, such as taste and smell, and to raise awareness about the challenges that blind people face.
The meal itself was a surprise, as we were not told what we were going to be eating beforehand. All we knew was that it was a five-course meal. The experience of eating in complete darkness was quite unique. Without sight, I found myself relying more heavily on my sense of taste, smell, and touch. I found it challenging to identify some of the dishes, and it made me appreciate the effort and skill that goes into creating a meal.
The food itself was delicious and well-prepared. I found it unusual because it was a completely new and unique dining experience. I had never encountered anything like it before.
Overall, the experience was a great one, and it showed me the importance of being open to trying new things and stepping out of my comfort zone. It was definitely a meal that I will never forget.
Band 9.0 Sample Answer Ideas.
|restaurant||a place where people go to eat food|
|complete darkness||total absence of light|
|simulating||creating a situation that resembles a particular event or experience in order to study it|
|heighten||increase the intensity or degree of something|
|preconceptions||an idea or opinion about something before having the evidence to support it|
- Ate a meal in a restaurant that served food in complete darkness
- The restaurant’s concept is to simulate the experience of blindness
- Five-course meal, and not told beforehand what would be served
- Relying more heavily on taste, smell, and touch to identify dishes
- Unique and new dining experience
- Showed the importance of being open to trying new things and stepping out of one’s comfort zone
Different ideas to talk about an unusual meal you had
- A meal consisting of traditional wild game such as bison, elk, or venison
- A meal featuring a type of cuisine that is not common in your area, such as Ethiopian or Uzbekistani
- A meal that was cooked using a unique cooking method, such as cooking in a pit or underground oven
- A meal that was served in an unusual setting, such as in a treehouse or on a boat
- A meal that was a part of a cultural or religious ceremony, such as a traditional Indian wedding banquet
- A meal that was prepared and served by a celebrity chef or at a Michelin-starred restaurant
- A meal where all the ingredients were foraged from the wild
- A meal that was served in the dark or blindfolded, as in a Dans Le Noir restaurant
- A meal that was served in complete silence
- A meal that was cooked using molecular gastronomy techniques
- A meal that was based on a specific theme, such as Harry Potter or Alice in Wonderland
- A meal that was served while being suspended in the air, such as a hot air balloon or a helicopter
- A meal that was served while participating in an activity, such as skiing or scuba diving
- A meal that was served in a virtual reality or augmented reality setting
- A meal that was served in zero gravity or in a space station.
Another Band 9.0 Sample Answer Ideas.
I love to travel to new places and make sure that I try out the local cuisine of that region.
This is the perfect way to sneak peek into the culture and traditions of the people out there.
I’ll like to share with you one such experience I had on my visit to Pune which is a cosmopolitan city in Maharashtra, in western India.
One of our local friends suggested us to have a meal at an old eatery called “Manish lunch home”, a place famous for its fresh sea food.
We went there and could see a large aquarium placed right in the reception area filled up with crabs and lobsters.
I was keen to try crab curry while my husband played safe by ordering usual chicken gravy.
After we placed the order, waiter laid down the table and kept a pair of strange looking cutlery next to my plate.
The food arrived and I was served a few pieces of crab with the shell intact.
I was supposed to crack the shell using that fancy looking cutlery and then pull out the meat in there.
I just didn’t know how to do that. I somehow managed to finish my serving of flatbread with the gravy which was typical of that region.
It was spicy gravy with coconut milk base and a tinge of sourness.
It was indeed the strangest looking food I had in my life.
I promised myself to be careful and sure before ordering something which I have not tasted before.
IELTS Speaking part 3 Follow Up Questions.
Here are some follow up questions you may be asked during part 3 IELTS Speaking exam by the IELTS examiner related to talk about an unusual meal you had IELTS Cue Card 2020.
1. Do you think having dinner at home is a good idea?
Yes, of course. Home cooked meals are always healthier than meals at restaurants.
At home we use the best oils and add spices to our taste.We also wash the vegetables properly before cooking.
2. Do young people like to spend time with their families or friends?
Young people like to spend time with friends more because they have no generation gap with friends.
When they spend time with family, there are chances of misunderstandings.
Parents have to be friendly, otherwise young people drift away from them.
3. What do you think are the benefits of having dinner together?
When families have dinner together,it increases family bonding.
They share their day’s happenings with each other.
It has also been seen that when families have 3-5 meals a week together, then children do not fall into vices like drugs and alcohol.
4. Do you think people are less willing to cook meals by themselves these days,compared to the past?
Yes,people have become more career oriented and have started earning more.
When spending capacity increases then people find easy way out and eat out.
5. Why do people buy foreign food?
I personally believe that this is a world of consumerism.
There is a wide range of exotic, attractively packed foreign foods available in supermarkets these days.
Those who can afford to buy, don’t mind spending on these items.
Maybe, they think that the quality of those products would be better than domestic ones.
6. Why are humans facing food shortage?
According to me, there are two main reasons why we are facing scarcity of food.
Firstly, the population is increasing at an alarming rate, especially in the underdeveloped and developing nations.
A vast majority of these people belong to low socio-economic strata and simply cannot afford to buy enough food.
Also, a large quantity of food is wasted by the rich in hotels, parties instead of giving it to the poor and needy people.
Then, there are environmental factors too such as crop droughts and famines which result in dearth of food.
7 .Do you think having dinner at home is a good idea?
Of course, having a meal together actually makes the family to spend some quality time with each other.
Often, it is dinner time when all family members are together.
This helps them to handle the stresses of daily life and hassles of day-to-day existence.
Cue Card sample 111
Cue Card sample 113
Related Cue Cards:
Cue Card in IELTS Speaking & how to answer IELTS cue card topicsMarch 7, 2021
Describe a goal you want to achieve in the futureJanuary 20, 2021
Describe an occasion when you ate a kind of food for first timeJanuary 19, 2021
Describe something important has been kept in your family for a long timeJanuary 18, 2021
Share this Post